Can PEM cause depression?

ebethc

I now think it's probably much less than the low grade brain inflammation is causing.
did any of the presentations address glucose/insulin problems in CFS'ers?

I've been wondering about this lately... my blood work is fine, but that doesn't mean that my body is using glucose/insulin well... plus, low carb seems to help so many; maybe it's not just helpful for microbiome problems.

thanks

ljimbo423

did any of the presentations address glucose/insulin problems in CFS'ers?
I don't remember if anybody talked about glucose/insulin problems at the symposium. They might have and I just don't remember.

I've been wondering about this lately... my blood work is fine, but that doesn't mean that my body is using glucose/insulin well...
It seems like I get low blood sugar issues 2-3 hours after I eat. I usually start to feel more fatigued, anxious etc. That usually goes away when I eat.

plus, low carb seems to help so many; maybe it's not just helpful for microbiome problems
I think low carb or keto might also be good for mito. dysfunction, for some. Keto makes me sick though.

I tried to wait it out but I was still sick on a keto diet 6-8 weeks later. Some people feel tremendously better.

ebethc

I think low carb or keto might also be good for mito. dysfunction, for some. Keto makes me sick though.

I tried to wait it out but I was still sick on a keto diet 6-8 weeks later. Some people feel tremendously better.
"low carb" for me is 50-75g carbs per day, so some would consider that medium, not low... Super low (20g per day) is hard for me (maybe I can't stick it out long enough??) but I like to eat a lot of veggies anyway... Meat is hard for me to digest, so I eat it in moderation and w Betaine HCL... def feel better when I eat it in moderation... a vegan diet made my stomach feel better, but increased fatigue dramatically...plus, I hadn't discovered betaine hcl yet, which helps a lot..re keto, I can't tolerate a lot of fat either... esp saturated fat..

so... w/o a lot of meat/fat to lean on, super low carb or keto would be tough for me.. I am sensitive to carbs, so I have to balance... still searching for the right macro balance (carbs/protein/fat)...

do you remember what your macro balance was when you tried keto?